Carteret County Public Library
Bogue Banks Branch Library & Western Carteret Branch Library
Patrons are required to abide by these established conduct rules as approved by the Library Board of Trustees.
· Engage in activities associated with the use of a public library.
The library is expected to be a quiet area. Patrons not reading, studying, or using library materials may be required to leave the building.
PATRONS SHALL NOT:
· Steal, deface, or mar any items on the library premises.
· Harass or annoy others through noisy or boisterous activities, by staring at or following another person with the intent to annoy that person.
· Consume food or beverages, smoke, or use tobacco or tobacco products within the building.
· Carry or brandish weapons on the library premises.
· Use library telephones.
· Leave children under 8 years of age unattended by a responsible adult on library premises.
This includes leaving any child or young adult (under 18) in the library after closing time. Unruly children and their responsible adult may be asked to leave the Library. The library facilities do not provide nor allow for an isolated children’s room.
· Use obscene, profane, suggestive, or abusive language or behavior.
· Interfere with employees’ performance of their duties.
· Be under the influence of alcohol or drugs on the library premises.
· Talk or sing loudly to others or in monologues, or by behaving in a manner which can be reasonably expected to disturb others.
· Play audio/video equipment or operate computers or personal telephones so that others can hear it.
· Misuse restrooms.
· Engages in any illegal activity or conduct in violation of Federal, State, or Local law, ordinance, or regulation while on the library premises. Communication of threats, physical violence, or sexual offences may result in permanent expulsion.
· Enter the building without a shirt or shoes.
· Engage in selling, soliciting, or loitering. This includes soliciting for money, items, services, membership, or prostitution. The distribution of leaflets or posting of notices in areas not authorized and not approved by the library is prohibited.
· Use furniture in an inappropriate manner. This includes sitting on tables, putting feet on tables and chair seats, lying on couches, or rearranging library furniture, etc. The library does not provide facilities for group work.
Failure to comply with the Library’s established rules and regulations may result in expulsion for the day, permanently, or in arrest. Persons refusing to leave when asked are subject to arrest under the North Carolina trespass laws (NCGS 14-159.12 and 14-159.13).
Adopted January 29, 1996
Retyped June 18, 2003